1.2 million children live in a blended family and 2.2 million live in a single-parent family. These are the results of an INSEE study. (News of 13/10/09)
9% of minor children live in a stepfamily
- France has 580,000 step familiesor 1.2 million children under 18 years of age involved in this family pattern. Of these, nearly 800,000 live with a parent and step-parent, most often a father-in-law.
- In half of these blended familiesthere is a child of the current couple. 380,000 children live in a stepfamily, with their half-brother or half-sister, but with both parents.
- The gap between half-brother and half-sister is important. On average, 7 years separate the youngest child born from a previous union and the oldest from the current union.
In stepfamilies, women are older than men
- In a family recomposed on three, the woman is older than the man, she is on average 38.2 years old.
2.2 million children live in single-parent families
- If 1.2 million children under 18 live in a blended family, they are even more likely to live in a single-parent family: 2.2 million children live with only one of their parents. 1.9 million of them live with their mother and 300,000 with their father.
Separation, alternating custody ... You want to exchange between you? Visit our Reconstituted Families Forum.