On the night of Saturday, October 26, 2019, change of time! At 3 o'clock in the morning, we will recoil at 2 o'clock ... It is an hour of sleep moreover, and also a change of rhythm which disturbs the life of the smallest ones. Our advice for a smooth transition.
- Matching hours of activity with hours of sunshine to save energy is the goal of this change of time introduced after the 1973-1974 oil change. Thus, each year, the last weed-end of March corresponds to the transition to summer time with one hour of sleep and the last weekend of October to the transition to winter time with an hour of more sleep.
- The transition to winter time is less disturbing and difficult than the transition to summer time for the little ones because the nights are not shortened and the day in the evening is not likely to prevent them from falling asleep. This time change still represents a shift with daily habits and can disrupt their internal clock and cause sleep disturbances, mood changes or loss of appetite. Only the smallest, before the age of 3 months, are relatively spared.
6 tips to help them adjust their biological clock
- 1. To allow them to adapt smoothly, the right technique is to gradually adjust the timetable of their days.
- For the transition to summer time, go back every day for 15 minutes to important moments of the day such as meals, bath, nap, bedtime. He dines at 7 pm? Spend the first night at 6:45 pm and 6:30 pm, 6:15 pm ... until it is set on the new schedule.
- For the transition to winter time, it's the opposite, put the time forward. Start a few days before the weekend (4-5 days before, that's enough) ... and they will normally be better calibrated and well on the day.
- 2. When we go to summer time, the day rises an hour later and the night falls an hour later too. To activate the circadian rhythm of your baby (rhythm allowing him to regulate some of his biological functions by agreeing on the alternation day-night), think to offer him more brightness in the morning in the rooms of the house to simulate and in the evening, darken the windows of his room.
- When we go to winter time, the day rises an hour earlier and the night falls an hour earlier too. To activate the circadian rhythm of your baby, consider giving him more light in the evening in the rooms of the house and, in the morning, hide the windows of his room to prevent him from waking up too early (and you too) .
- 3. Set the record straight ... the day before. Today, many devices (TV, computer, laptop ...) are set to winter time or summer automatically, but you still have some devices to manually adjust like the alarm clock, the microwave or the coffee pot maybe. Set them on the new time the night before because it will allow you not to disturb more the morning of the next day and also to prepare you psychologically.
- 4. Relax, a max! For your children and for you, the important thing is to prepare yourself for a good sleep. Ventilate the room well, make sure that the temperature of the room is not too high (between 18 and 20 ° C is ideal). In the evening, opt for a light meal and a relaxing break with a shower or hot bath, a small massage ... All relaxation methods are allowed to promote a good night. Set an example by showing yourself relaxed about this change. If this makes you grumpy, chances are your children will be too.
- 5. Some days for some, longer for others, the body needs rest to recover and adapt to this change. Fatigue in the day, sleep disorders ... arm yourself with patience and understanding. Soon, everything will be back to normal!
- 6. Nothing to do, it is difficult to be done at these new times? Ask your doctor for advice. He can prescribe a homeopathic remedy to help your child overcome the difficulties of this change of time.
Soon the end of the time change?
Since 1998, the time change dates have been harmonized within the European Union. As this system is increasingly challenged, the National Assembly's European Affairs Committee launched an online consultation on the subject between 4 February and 3 March 2019. 83.71% of voters said they would like to end the process. time change and 59.17% are pronounced to stay in the summer time in case of cancellation. To follow so ...