Two studies alert parents to some of the causes of accidents in young children: burns, but also Caddy falls in the supermarket.
Caddy, watch out for falls!
- You are used to installing your tiny in the supermarket cart when you go shopping? Warning danger ... A study published in the journal Clinical Pediatrics recalls that the risk of an accident is significant: between 1990 and 2011, 24,000 Caddy falls that required pediatric emergency care were recorded. In almost 80% of cases, the children were injured in the head, the most affected being the under 4 years.
- To avoid any risk of accident, never leave your child alone in your shopping cart, even for a few minutes. When standing up, or trying to catch a product on the shelf, it can tip over and hurt itself.
Hair straightener and hot drinks: burn station
- What are the main causes of burning in children? Researchers at Cardiff University studied the issue by analyzing data from different emergency departments and treatment centers for burned children between 2008 and 2010. First, if hot beverage remains the leading cause of burns among less than 5 years, whether it is by catching a cup of tea or coffee, or a pan, placed at their height, it is not the only one. The hair straightener comes in 2nd position and concerns about 5% of children! These heaters quickly reach temperatures up to 180 ° C and are misleading because even when disconnected, they stay hot for several minutes.
- If you have some at home, always remember to put them in height, out of reach of your baby's hands.
- Remember that in France, 230 children die each year as a result of a domestic accident.
(News of 08 and 09/02/14)