Warm in your belly, your baby is waiting. Calculation of the term, medical surveillance, methods to hasten birth ... we take stock of these extensions.
Why is he not in a hurry to be born?
- If your mother and grandmother have had an extended pregnancy, it may be that genetics is involved. "There are families where women give birth after the end without affecting the baby's health," says Francine Dauphin, a liberal midwife and president of the national organization of midwifery unions ...
- Other explanation : the always surprising powers of our unconscious. Some women have the impression of "holding back" their baby. If that is your feeling, do not feel guilty. Rather, look for why you need this delay. "I'm trying to help women find what might possibly scare them," says Francine Dauphin, "Is it the pain of childbirth, the fear of not knowing how to take care of their baby?" also: "When do you give birth in your head?"
- Sometimes it's not your baby who is late but the medicine is ahead! There is indeed a margin of uncertainty in the calculation of the term.
How is the term of childbirth calculated?
- Your gynecologist-obstetrician will probably use a small round tool consisting of two cardboard disks bunk. On the largest figure a calendar, on the smaller two arrows. The practitioner rotates the baby to place one of the arrows on the date of the first day of your last period. The other then indicates that of the term. It sounds simple! Except that the pregnancy records vary according to the pharmaceutical companies that provide them and they will not all indicate the same date. Why ? Because there are different ways to count the time of pregnancy. If all the couples knew when their baby was conceived, the calculation would be childish.
- The doctors start from the first day of the last period, add fourteen days (the time of the cycle when ovulation normally occurs) and nine months. Some, considering that women have irregular cycles and that the months do not have the same duration, prefer to count ten days instead of fourteen. This explains the variations of pregnancy discs.
- Overall the pregnancy is supposed to last two hundred and eighty-four days, from the first day of the last period.
- Programmed during the twelfth week (amenorrhea), the first ultrasound can also predict the date of the term to four or five days. "We look at the measurements of the fetus and bring them closer to grids that say, for example, that at some point the baby is supposed to be such a size, and of course, as it grows, these statistical tools lose their relevance. because genetic factors are becoming more important, "says Prof. Francis Puech.
- The doctor must then synthesize the result of the ultrasound, the feeling of the woman who sometimes knows the moment of fertilization, and the information she gives about her cycle. Thus, he manages to define as precisely as possible the date of the term.
1 2 3 4