You have entered your second trimester of pregnancy and you are rid of these pesky nausea. You have found an appetite ... ogress! You are hungry very often day, night ... But no question of succumbing to all your desires!
The advice of Myriam Gros, midwife at Thonon-les-Bains hospital.
Why pregnant cravings?
- During pregnancy, sugars are more easily assimilated at the gastric and intestinal level. The insulin level (allowing the circulation of sugar in the cells) increases more rapidly after meals. Once this sugar is absorbed, the body will enter a state of ypoglycemia (a very low blood sugar level) which leads to a feeling of hunger ... and cravings.
- During pregnancy, these cravings have a purpose: it would be a way for the future baby to communicate his need or lack of nutrients that are not in the physiology of the future mother.
- Finally, we must not forget that pregnancy is a period of emotional fragility.
Do not eat for two!
- Cravings, are frequent from the 4th month of pregnancy. The first trimester is rather marked by the presence of nausea. If your body requires a little more calories to feed your baby, it is best not to give in to your cravings too much to avoid excessive weight gain. This could lead to health problems such as high blood pressure or in case of significant overweight, gestational diabetes or phlebitis.
- High blood pressure is dangerous for you, but also for your baby since it can alter the passage of blood to the placenta and cause a delay in the growth of the fetus. Being overweight increases the risk of gestational diabetes and giving birth to a big baby, and in this way increases the risk of giving birth more difficult as well as the likelihood of phlebitis (cardiovascular disorder).
How to control your cravings?
Myriam Gros, midwife, offers you two ways to control your recurring cravings for eating.
- If you feel the need to eat more during the meal, you can slightly increase your rations, based on a balanced meal that should include: 1 animal protein (meat or fish or egg), 1 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 dairy, 1 fruit. In case of big hunger, eat a little more starch, food that stalls. But do not forget that if you eat bread, which is a starch, it is better not to force on the dose of potato. Instead, turn to fruits or vegetables.
- If you feel the need to eat between meals, you can add a snack, a snack consisting of a yoghurt and / or a fruit. Ditto if you wake up hungry in the middle of the night. Small advice from Myriam Gros: choose instead to eat an apple, which is a substantial and low calorie fruit.
- Above all, avoid cracking on cakes and sweets of all kinds and do not forget to exercise.
Pregnant cravings: the video