Whether it's taking the baby to the nursery or entrusting it to the care of a nanny, the "first separation" is feared by most mothers ... Rest assured: with a little preparation, baby and you will cross this step smoothly!
1. Convince yourself that this is the best thing to do
- In order for your baby to stay relaxed and confident at the time of separation, it is better that he does not feel your anguish ... You must be convinced that this is the best solution for him and for you.
- Easier said than done, as it is natural to ask yourself a thousand questions (will they care for him?), But keep in mind that the nanny or nursery staff have the children's habit and that they will be very caring for your baby.
- For her part, this separation will also help her gradually gain autonomy and socialize. From yours, you can find your work and resume activities that are important to you ...
- Before the day, do not hesitate to visit the site and ask any questions you want to the director of the nursery or the nanny, until you are fully confident.
2. Mini-separations to better prepare you
- Emotionally, you may be less likely to experience this separation if you have never given baby to anyone before. It is therefore advisable, in the weeks leading up to D-Day, to leave your child in the care of a person you trust (your mother, your best friend who has already had a child), if only for an hour or two.
- Take advantage of this free moment to have fun and change your mind (dinner for a romantic couple, shopping with friends ...). After several mini-separations, it will be easier to consider giving baby to someone longer ...
3. Proceed in stages
- A period of adaptation is usually offered by nannies and crèches: find out the details before the day J. Generally, this transitional phase is spread over a week, during which you can entrust baby more and longer (from a few minutes to several hours).
- You may also have the opportunity to stay with him for the first few days (at first a few hours, then less and less time): a good option, which shows "live" that babies are well treated and win in trust.
4. Explain the situation to baby
- Even if it is still very small, it is advisable to explain to the baby the situation in a few simple words and to always say goodbye to him when leaving him. Tell him you'll come back for him later, give him a kiss to reassure him ...
- Do not worry, even if baby starts to cry at the moment, that does not mean he will be sad all day long. On the contrary, there is a good chance that he will enjoy himself very well after having evacuated his overflow of emotions ...
5. Do not forget his blankie
- A blanket, wearing your favorite smell, will reassure many baby during your absence: one of your scarves will do very well for example, or an old T-shirt ... Also remember to bring his nanny some of his toys favorite so that the places seem to him more familiar.