Loss of appetite, vomiting and diarrhea characterize this inflammation of the lining of the intestine. The main danger is dehydration, especially if your child is very young.
How to recognize gastroenteritis?
- Frequent especially in community, gastroenteritis is most often caused by a virus, rotavirus. It can also be the result of an infection of the intestines caused by bacteria.
- It is always accompanied by characteristic signs: diarrhea (the consecutive emission of two liquid stools) more or less nauseating, a loss of appetite, more or less frequent vomiting.
- This condition can lead to severe dehydration, especially if your child is young and chubby, as its rounded shape can mask the severity of the situation. Two signs must alert you and require emergency hospitalization: if your toddler has dry skin, almost "wrinkled" (pinch it between your fingers, if it does not return to its original state, it means that it is dehydrated), if your child no longer emits urine or if he has a raspy tongue like that of a cat.
What is the action to take in case of gastro?
- From the first symptoms, stop giving milk and all solid food for at least twelve or twenty-four hours, so as to allow the intestine to rest. But rehydrate it: sugar water is not enough, it must be added sodium and other trace elements.
- You will find in pharmacy rehydration products. Their reconstitution is always the same: a sachet to be diluted in 200 ml of water. The important thing is to propose often (every twenty minutes) and in small quantities. In general, this "potion" is well accepted, especially since it is declined under different flavors.
- Before 24 months, do not use any other product. After this age, you can give degassed cola, herbal tea or mineral water appropriate, while changing the diet: place with rice, carrots, banana, compotes of apple-quince ... To accelerate healing, we can administer racecadotril (Tiorfan): which decreases water loss.